Dr. Ceylan has extensive experience in pavement field investigation and forensic testing, pavement performance evaluation and modeling, mechanistic-based pavement analysis and design concepts, nondestructive testing and health monitoring of transportation infrastructure systems, smart infrastructure/engineering materials, and engineering application of intelligent data mining and computational intelligence techniques.
Over the course of his career, he has been involved with over 90 research projects related to pavement systems and materials, serving as the principal investigator or co-principal investigator. Research sponsors include the Federal Highway Administration, Portland Cement Association, various state departments of transportation, among others.
Dr. Cylan has authored and co-authored over 230 publications, which includes 6 edited books, 3 invited book chapters, more than 70 journal articles (plus 3 fully peer-reviewed Geotechnical Special Publications), and over 140 fully-refereed conference proceedings and technical reports. He is also an avid technical presenter, having delivered over 230, including more than 100 invited presentations at universities and conferences with several keynote lectures.
And besides having served on the editorial board for nine international journals, he was a member of over 20 national and international committees and organizations, having organized and chaired many technical conference sessions for these professional associations.
- PhD, Civil Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2002
- MS, Civil Engineering, Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir, Turkey, 1993
- BS, Civil Engineering, Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir, Turkey, 1989
- Professor, Department of Civil and Construction Engineering, Iowa State University, 2015–present
- Associate Professor, Department of Civil and Construction Engineering, Iowa State University, 2010–2015
- Assistant Professor, Department of Civil and Construction Engineering, Iowa State University, 2002– 2010
- ISU Site Director, FAA Center of Excellence (COE) for Partnership to Enhance General Aviation Safety, Accessibility and Sustainability (PEGASAS)
- Director of Program for Sustainable Pavement Engineering and Research (PROSPER), Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, 2013–present
- Pavement Research Engineer, Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, 2002–present
- Faculty Affiliate, Center for Nondestructive Evaluation (CNDE), Iowa State University, 2005–present
- Pavement Research Engineer, Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), National Airport Pavement Test Facility (NAPTF), 1999
Selected Research Projects
- Involved with over 90 research projects with over $13.5 million in research funds such as the following:
- Implementing a Multiple-Slab Response Model for Top-Down Cracking Mode in Rigid Airport Pavements, FAA
- Development of Nanostructured Superhydrophobic Coatings and Conductive Concrete to Achieve Ice- and Snow-Free Airport Pavement, FAA and COE
- Full-Scale Demonstration of Heated Portland Cement Concrete Pavement Systems; FAA and COE
- Airport Safety Database & Analysis, FAA and COE
- Effects of Implements of Husbandry “Farm Equipment” on Pavement Performance, FHWA Pooled-Fund Study
- NCHRP Project 1-47, Sensitivity Evaluation of MEPDG (Mechanistic-Empirical Pavement Design Guide) Performance Prediction (Phase I and Phase II), NCHRP
- SHRP II Nondestructive Testing to Identify Delaminations between Pavement Layers, SHRP II
- Investigation of AASHTOWare Pavement ME Design/Darwin-ME Performance Prediction Models for Iowa Pavement Analysis and Design, IA DOT
Selected Peer-Review Publications
Representative five publications in past five years (total: over 230 publications).
- Arabzadeh, A., H. Ceylan, S. Kim, K. Gopalakrishnan, A. Sassani, S. Sundararajan, and P. C. Taylor. 2017. Superhydrophobic Coatings on Portland Cement Concrete Surfaces. Construction & Building Materials. Vol. 141, pp. 393–401.
- Shen, W., H. Ceylan, K. Gopalakrishnan, S. Kim, P.C. Taylor, and C. Rehmann. 2016. Life Cycle Assessment of Heated Apron Pavement System Operations. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, Vol.48, pp. 316–331.
- Abdualla, H., H. Ceylan, S. Kim, K. Gopalakrishnan, C. P. Taylor, and Y. Turkan. 2016. System Requirements for Electrically Conductive Concrete Heated Pavements. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board. No. 2569, pp. 70–79.
- Ceylan, H., K. Gopalakrishnan, and M. B. Bayrak. 2014. Neural Networks Applications in Transportation Infrastructure Systems. International Journal of Pavement Research and Technology. Vol. 7, No. 6, pp. 434–444
- Ceylan, H., K. Gopalakrishnan, S. Kim, C. W. Schwartz, and R. Li. 2013. Global Sensitivity Analysis (GSA) of Jointed Plain Concrete Pavement (JPCP) Mechanistic-Empirical Performance Predictions. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 2367, pp. 113–122.
Other Scholarly Publications
Representative five presentations in past five years (total: over 230 presentations).
- Ceylan, H. 2016. Use of Smart Sensors and Systems for Health Monitoring of Civil Infrastructure. Keynote Speech, 2016 Texas Civil Engineering Conference, San Marcos, TX, September 21–23.
- Ceylan, H., 2015. Innovative and Sustainable Airfield Pavement Engineering Solutions for the 21st Century: Implications on Airside Pavement Design of Istanbul New Airport. ACI Airport Exchange 2015 Conference, Istanbul Congress Center, Istanbul, Turkey, December 8-10.
- Ceylan, H. 2015. Implementation and Local Calibration of Mechanistic-Based Pavement Design in Iowa. Invited Presentation, Kent Seminar Series at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Champaign, IL, October 29.
- Ceylan, H. 2014. Transverse Cracking Distress on Jointed Plain Concrete Pavement in Iowa: A Case Study. Proceedings of the 93rd Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board, Washington, DC, January 12-16.
- Ceylan, H., 2013. RCC Material Properties & Mix Design. Proceedings of the Roller-Compacted Concrete Pavement Design and Construction Symposium, Irving, Texas, November 20-21.
Professional Affiliations, Honors, and Service
Dr. Ceylan has served as an editorial board member for nine international journals and as a member of 26 national and international committees and organizations. He has held 16 track organizer/chair positions, and has served with 19 other professional organizations (including international advisory committees).
- 2018 Margaret Ellen White Graduate Faculty Award, recognizing superior performance by a member of the graduate faculty in enriching the student-professor relationship and enabling students to finish their work in a timely and scholarly manner, at Iowa State University
- 2018 Award for Mid-Career Achievement in Research at Iowa State University
- 2014 Charles W. Schafer Award for Excellence in Teaching, Research and Service in the CCEE at Iowa State University
- 13 other honors, recognitions, and outstanding achievements