Dr. Dong is a transportation engineer at the Center for Transportation Research and Education. Before joining Iowa State University, she worked at the U.S. Department of Energy’s Oak Ridge National Laboratory as a research staff member from 2010 to 2012. From 2009 to 2010, she was a postdoctoral researcher at the Northwestern University Transportation Center.
- PhD, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, 2008
- MS, Systems Engineering, Tsinghua University, China, 2003
- BS, Automation, Tsinghua University, China, 2001
- Associate Professor, Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, 2018–present
- Assistant Professor, Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, 2012–2018
- Research Staff Member, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, 2010–2012
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Transportation Center, Northwestern University, 2009–2010
- Hallmark, B., and Dong, J. 2020. Develop Roadway Safety Models for Winter Weather Conditions using A Feature Selection Algorithm. Journal of Advanced Transportation, Vol. 2020.
- Hu, L., Dong, J. 2020. An Artificial Neural Network Based Model for Real Time Dispatching of Electric Autonomous Taxis. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, pp. 1–10.
- Hu, L, J Dong, and Z Lin. 2019. Modeling charging behavior of battery electric vehicle drivers: A cumulative prospect theory based approach. Transportation Research Part C, Vol. 102, pp. 474–489.
- Lu, C., J. Dong, and L. Hu. 2019. Energy-Efficient Adaptive Cruise Control for Electric Connected and Autonomous Vehicles. IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Magazine, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 42–55.
- Hu, L., J. Dong, Z. Lin, and J. Yang. 2018. Analyzing Battery Electric Vehicle Feasibility from Taxi Travel Patterns: The Case Study of New York City, USA. Transportation Research Part C, Vol. 87, pp. 91–104.
- Yang, J., J. Dong, and L. Hu. 2018. Design government incentive schemes for promoting electric taxis in China. Energy Policy, Vol. 115, pp. 1–11.
- Lu, C., J. Dong, A. Sharma, T. Huang, and S. Knickerbocker. 2018. Prediction of Freeway Work Zone Capacity. Journal of Advanced Transportation.
- Lu, C. and J. Dong. 2017. Estimating Freeway Travel Time and Its Reliability Using Radar Sensor Data. Forthcoming in Transportmetrica B: Transport Dynamics.
- Dong, J., C. Liu, and Z. Lin. 2014. Charging Infrastructure Planning for Promoting Battery Electric Vehicles: An Activity-Based Approach Using Multiday Travel Data. Transportation Research Part C. 38, pp. 44–55.
- Dong, J. and H. S. Mahmassani. 2012. Stochastic Modeling of Traffic Flow Breakdown Phenomenon: Application to Predicting Travel Time Reliability. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems. Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 1803–1809.
Other Scholarly Papers
- Dong, J., L. Zhang, and Y. Yang. 2019. Iowa DOT Office of Maintenance Snowplow Optimization. Center for Transportation Research and Education, Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- Dong, J., and L. Hu. 2017. Macroscopic Traffic Flow Characteristics and Individual Vehicle Fuel Consumption. Midwest Transportation Center, Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- Zu, Y., C. Liu, R. Dai, A. Sharma, and J. Dong. 2017. Distributed Traffic Control for Reduced Fuel Consumption and Travel Time in Transportation Networks. Midwest Transportation Center, Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- Dong, J., M. Makaiwi, N. Shafieirad, and Y. Huang. 2015. Modeling Multi-Modal Freight Transportation Network Performance Under Disruptions. Mid-America Transportation Center, Iowa State University, Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- Dai, R., J. Dong, and A. Sharma. 2015. Distributed Traffic Control for Reduced Fuel Consumption and Travel Time in Transportation Networks. Proceedings of the European Control Conference, Linz, Austria, July 15–17.
Professional Affiliations, Honors, And Service
- Editor, Journal of Advanced Transportation, 2020–present
- “Snow Plow Optimization,” High Value Research Project, Research Advisory Committee (RAC) 2020 Supplemental Categories, American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO)
- Senior Member of IEEE, 2019–present
- Organizer, IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC) Workshop on Electric Autonomous Vehicles: Demand, Operations, and Policy Implications, November 2018
- Local Committee Member, the 22nd International Symposium on Transportation and Traffic Theory (ISTTT22), Chicago, July 2017
- Panel Member, National Cooperative Highway Research Program 03-114, 2013–2016
- Panel Member, National Science Foundation, Civil Infrastructure Systems Program and Cyber-Physical Systems Program, 2015, 2018
- Committee Member of TRB standing committee on Transportation Network Modeling (ADB30), 2015–present
- Committee Member, TRB standing committee on Traffic Flow Theory and Characteristics (AHB45), 2011–present
- Committee Member, TRB standing committee on User Information Systems (AND20), 2011–2018
- Excellence in Reviewing Award, 2013, Transportation Research, Part E