Dr. Hallmark is chair of the Institute of Transportation Engineers Safety Council and a member of the Transportation Research Board Traffic Control Devices Committee (AHB50). She has conducted numerous safety analyses to assess the impact of roadway countermeasures. She has served as principal investigator for five projects using the Second Strategic Highway Research Program National Driving Study (NDS) data for safety analyses. Each project entailed utilizing large naturalistic driving and roadway datasets. Three projects used the NDS data to assess the relationship between driver behavior, roadway factors, environmental conditions, and likelihood of a roadway departure. She has also evaluated the crash and safety impacts of paved shoulders, the Safety Edge, low-cost rural curve treatments, rumble stripes, intersection lighting, stop sign beacons, and chevrons.
Dr. Hallmark has also worked on a number of projects that have developed workbooks, guidance documents, and other technology transfer material. In order to develop these materials, she has worked with end users such as state departments of transportation, county and local agencies, trade groups, and enforcement groups.
In recognition of her contributions to traffic safety, Dr. Hallmark was awarded the Commissioner’s Special Award for Traffic Safety (2011) from the Iowa Governor’s Traffic Safety Bureau (GTSB) for outstanding service to the cause of reducing injuries and loss of life in traffic crashes in Iowa
- PhD, Civil Engineering (Transportation), Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, 1999
- MS, Civil Engineering (Transportation), Utah State University, Logan, UT, 1996
- BS, Civil Engineering (Transportation), Brigham Young University, Ogden, UT, 1991
- Professor, Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, 2012–present
- Director, Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, 2014–present
- Assistant/Associate Professor, Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, 2000–2012
- Graduate Research Assistant, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1995–1999
Selected Research Projects
- Speed Management Program Support (FHWA through LEIDOS)
- Evaluating the Relationship Between the Driver and Roadway Characteristics to Address Rural Intersection Safety Using the SHRP 2 Naturalistic Driving Study Data (Iowa DOT)
- Use of SHRP2 NDS Data to Evaluate Roadway Departure Characteristics (FHWA and AASHTO through the IAP)
- Development of CMFS for Roadway Departure and Rural Intersection Countermeasures (Iowa DOT and USDOT through the Midwest Transportation Center)
- Evaluation of Work Zone Safety Using the SHRP 2 Naturalistic Driving Study Data (FHWA and AASHTO through the IAP)
- Evaluation of Intersection Collision Warning Systems (MnDOT)
- Assessing the relationship between driver behavior and risk at rural intersections using naturalistic driving study data (Iowa DOT)
- Safety impacts of street lighting at rural intersections (MnDOT/LRRB, Iowa DOT)
- Development of a system for collection and analysis of intersection safety data (Iowa DOT)
- Development of a toolbox to evaluate the impacts of roundabouts on a corridor or roadway network (Iowa DOT)
- Development of Planning-Level Guidelines for Modern Roundabouts (Iowa DOT)
- Evaluating the effectiveness of red light running camera enforcement in Iowa and developing guidelines for selection and use of red light running countermeasures (Iowa DOT)
- Best practices and strategies for shared left turn lanes at signal control approaches (Iowa DOT)
- Investigating new strategies for ranking high crash intersections (Iowa DOT)
- Integration of existing and identification of future data sources for improved intersection safety analysis (Iowa DOT)
- Development of best practices and recommended strategies for shared left turn lanes at traffic signal controlled approaches (Iowa DOT)
- Hallmark, Shauna L., Yu Qui, Neal Hawkins, and Omar Smadi. 2015. Development of Crash Modification Factors for Dynamic Speed Feedback Signs on Rural Curves. Journal of Transportation Technologies, January 2015.
- Hallmark, Shauna L., Neal Hawkins, and Omar Smadi. 2015. Evaluation of Dynamic Speed Feedback Signs on Curves: A National Demonstration Project. Federal Highway Administration, Washington, DC.
- Hallmark, Shauna, Nicole Oneyear, Samantha Tyner, Bo Wang, Cher Carney, and Dan McGehee. 2014. SHRP2 S08D: Analysis of the SHRP 2 Naturalistic Driving Study Data. Strategic Highway Research Program 2, National Academies, Washington, DC.
- Isebrands, H.N., S. L. Hallmark, and W. Li. 2010. Safety Impact of Roadway Lighting at Rural Intersections. Journal of Transportation Engineering. Vol. 136, No. 11. pp. 949–955.
- Isebrands, H. and S. Hallmark. 2012. Statistical Analysis and Development of Crash Prediction Models for Roundabouts on High-Speed Rural Roundabouts. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 2312, pp. 3–13. 2012 Patricia Waller Award: Outstanding Paper on Safety and System Users.
- Gkritza, K., C. R. Kinzenbaw, and S. Hallmark. 2010. An empirical analysis of farm vehicle crash injury severities on Iowa’s public road system. Accident Analysis and Prevention. Vol. 42, No. 4, pp. 1392–1397.
- Hallmark, S., M. Orellana, E. Fitzsimmons, T. McDonald, and D. Matulac. 2010. Evaluating the Effectiveness of an Automated Red Light Running Enforcement Program in Reducing Crashes in Iowa using a Bayesian Analysis. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board. No. 2182, pp. 48–54.
- Mueller, K., S. L. Hallmark, H. Wu, and M. Pawlovich. 2007. Impact of Left-Turn Phasing on Older and Younger Drivers at High-Speed Signalized Intersections. Journal of Transportation Engineering, Vol. 133, No. 10, pp. 556–563.
- Hallmark, S., N. Hawkins, O. Smadi, C. Kinsenbaw, M. Orellana, Z. Hans, and H. Isebrands. 2008. Strategies to Address Nighttime Crashes at Rural Unsignalized Intersections. Iowa Department of Transportation, Ames, IA.
- Isebrands, H., S. Hallmark, Z. Hans, T. McDonald, H. Preston, and R. Storm. 2006. Safety Impacts of Street Lighting at Isolated Rural Intersections – Part II. Minnesota Department of Transportation, St. Paul, MN.
- Hallmark, S. L., E. Fitzsimmons, H. Isebrands, and K. Giese. 2010. Evaluating the Traffic Flow Impacts of Roundabouts in a Signalized Corridor. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board. No. 2182, pp. 139–147.
- Khattak, A. J., M. D. Pawlovich, R. R. Souleyrette, and S. Hallmark. 2002. Factors Related to More Severe Older Driver Traffic Crash Injuries. Journal of Transportation Engineering, May/June 2002, pp. 1–7.
Professional Affiliations, Honors, And Service
- Vice chair, Transportation Safety Council, Institute of Transportation Engineers
- Commissioner’s Special Award for Traffic Safety, Iowa Governor’s Traffic Safety Bureau, 2011
- Patricia Waller Award for Outstanding Paper on Safety and System Users, Transportation Research Board, 2012
- Friend of TRB Committee on Traffic Control Devices (AHB50)