Dr. Smadi has over 25 years of experience in the area of infrastructure and asset management ranging from pavements, bridges, safety, pavement marking, signs and other infrastructure assets. He is currently serving as PI for several research projects for the Iowa Department of Transportation, the Iowa Highway Research Board, the federally funded Midwest Transportation Center, National Cooperative Highway Research Program, Second Highway Research Program, and Federal Highway Administration dealing with roadway data, safety, and asset management.
- PhD, Transportation Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2000
- MS, Transportation Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 1994
- BS, Civil Engineering, Yarmouk University, Jordan, 1987
- Director, Center for Transportation Research and Education (CTRE), November 2016–present
- Associate Professor, Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, July 2014–present
- Director, Roadway Infrastructure Management and Operations Systems (RIMOS) program, Center for Transportation Research and Education, Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, June 2010–present
- Research Scientist, Center for Transportation Research and Education, Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, May 1994–present
Selected Research Projects
- Planning, Implementation, and Operation of the Iowa Pavement Management Program, Iowa DOT, 1996–present
- Planning, Implementation, and Operation of the Iowa DOT Bridge Management System, Iowa DOT, 2004–present
- Pavement Management Performance Modeling: Evaluating the Existing PCI Equations, Iowa DOT, 2014
- Developing/Teaching FHWA Data Integration Workshop (sub to Battelle), FHWA
- Developing/Teaching NHI Asset Management workshops (sub to ApTech)
- SHRP2 S04A Roadway Information Database Development and Technical Coordination and Quality Assurance of the Mobile Data Collection Project (S04B), SHRP2
- Implementation and Operation of the Iowa DOT Pavement Management Optimization Model, Iowa DOT, 2000–present
- Automated Pavement Condition Data: Analysis, Feasibility, and Data Integration, Prepared for the FHWA and Iowa DOT, February 2005
- Development of a monograph on the “Science of Transportation Asset Management,” in partnership with the Office of Asset Management, Federal Highway Administration
- Pavement Optimization System for the Iowa Department of Transportation, Center for Transportation Research and Education, Iowa Department of Transportation
- Khatami, D., Shafei, B., and Smadi, O. 2016. Management of Bridges under Aging Mechanisms and Extreme Events: Risk-Based Approach. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2550, pp. 89–95.
- Chen, C. R., Williams, C., Marasinghe, M., Ashlock, J., Smadi, O., Schram, S., and Buss, A. 2015. Assessment of Composite Pavement Performance by Survival Analysis. Journal of Transportation Engineering, Vol. 141, No. 9.
- Bektas, F., Smadi, O., and Nlenanya, I. 2015. Pavement Condition: New Approach for Iowa Department of Transportation. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2523, pp. 40–46.
- Zimmerman, K. and Smadi, O. 2014. Investigating Consistency in Highway Performance Monitoring System and Pavement Management Reporting. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2455, pp. 37–43.
- Bektas, B. A., Carriquiry, A., and Smadi, O. 2013. Using Classification Trees for Predicting National Bridge Inventory Condition Ratings. Journal of Infrastructure Systems, pp. 425–433.
- Kim, S., Ceylan, H., Gopalakrishnan, K., and Smadi, O. 2010. Use of Pavement Management Information System for Verification of Mechanistic-Empirical Pavement Design Guide Performance Predictions. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2153, pp. 30–39.
- Smadi, Omar. 2001. Knowledge Based Pavement Management Optimization. Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Managing Pavements, Seattle, WA, September 2001.
Professional Affiliations, Honors, and Service
- Transportation Research Board (TRB)
- Member, TRB Committee AFD20 – Pavement Monitoring and Evaluation (Chair for 6 years)
- Member, TRB Committee AFD10 – Pavement Management (2000 to 2012)
- Member, TRB Committee ABC40 – Asset Management
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Member, ASCE Infrastructure Management Committee
- Member, ASCE Advanced Technology Committee
- Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE)
- Friend, AAHSTO Asset Management Subcommittee
- International Road Federation (IRF): Asset Management Committee (Chair for 4 years)
- World Road Association (PIARC): Infrastructure Asset Management Group